Pages

Monday, November 1, 2010

Day 02- The meaning behind your blog name

After reading LeSombre’s 15 interesting facts, my interesting facts seem blah.  There is one more thing you outta know, I always second guess myself.  It’s a massive curse I have always thinking, “Man, I should have done or said THAT!” 

One thing I forgot to tell you yesterday, I always read the Chuck Lorre Productions vanity card blog type thingy’s after The Big Bang Theory.  I actually pause my TV and read them.  I wonder if anybody else does too?  I would love to meet Chuck Lorre one day.  I hope if I ever get on Big Brother, since it’s a CBS show as well as the The Big Bang Theory, I will get to meet  him. 

None that has ANYthing to do with my blog name.

My official online name is Pipper.  I may change blogs, I may change emails, I may change my hair color, but I will never change my official online name. 

I was going to college way back in 98 and I took a class on how to use the internet, yes it was an easy A.  This was a time when not everybody had a computer or cell phones. The internet was a thing everybody knew about, just not everybody was on it.  The masses were just finding out all the mysterious things the internet could do like if you type in your name, your address might come up!  Somebody, no make that ANYBODY could find out where you live by typing in your name!  Now, of course, that idea is not all ground breaking since now, with a few clicks and dropping a little yellow man onto a map, you can actually SEE someone’s house and street and their neighbors and all kinds of goodies.  But that was not the case back in 98. 

All I ever heard back then was, “Don’t give out your personal information! Don’t give out your real name or address! You will get a stalker and they will come to your house and rape you and kill you AND your dog!”  So, while sitting in this internet class (it was called something else, but really it was a class in which we played on the internet and built our own webpage- I still have that code tuck away because I was so proud of myself! I had built a webpage out of thin air!) again, while sitting in class we had to create an email account, not one the school provided or anything because the school didn’t have school email addresses like today.  Really, the internet was really new and just starting to come into its own.  So, we could pick to create a Hotmail account or a yahoo account.  I was going to go with Hotmail, but when I typed in Hotmail, and I swear it was just like that, HOTMAIL, all kinds of pop up ads for hawt males popped up and if I X’d out of them, another one would just pop up.  All these gay male ads took over my computer!  I had to shut down the computer from the hard drive to stop the madness! 

So, I went with yahoo after that.

The night before, I had watched the only episode of Charmed I would ever watch and there was a girl on there named Piper. I liked that name and decided that would be my online name when I was instructed to come up with an email account- remember, I was told NOT to use my real name or I would die in the most horrible way.  And thus, I would be Pipper.  Yes, and one of the most embarrassing spelling errors in my life, I misspelled Piper and put Pipper instead.  I didn’t even realize my mistake until years later.  I tried once to correct myself and officially become Piper online, but to no avail.  I am now and will forever be Pipper.  The numbers after my name may change, my blog address may change, everything about me will change, but am Pipper.  And of course, some of you know my real life name, and for that reason, I will go by both, but I am making more of an effort to keep my online life more close to my heart and not just “out there” because if I do become a teacher, I don’t want every parent and principal Googling my blog and knowing what you know.  Like I’ve said before, I trust my blogging family and friends more than I trust people in real life. People in real life are mean and judgmental and I generally just don’t trust the people I know in real life. 

And how did I get Misery Loves Company as THIS blog name which was the original question?  I like the saying and thought it was a cute idea for a blog name. No flashy reason why I came up with Misery Loves Company, just wanting to change from my last blog to this one.  However, for those of you that know my old blog… I am thinking of returning?  I don’t know.  I’ve been throwing the idea around because while I like Misery Loves Company, I *am* my old blog.  I visit it from time to time and reflect on where I was and where I am today.  I don’t feel I have come a long way since my very first post.  I don’t know if I will really make the change?  Maybe after this 30 days thing, I will?  I don’t know… I think it’s a lot to ask of people to keep following you from blog to blog.  What do you think? Would you update your feed readers if I ever change again? 

And just another random FYI- one of my newest traditions is watching The George Lopez show with my oldest daughter after the youngest one goes to bed.

George Lopez Show

2 comments:

  1. I always read those vanity cards, too. Have for a long time now, since Dharma & Greg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read several of the vanity cards over the past few seasons. The first one I read said something about people pausing their DVRs to read them -- which is what I'd done, so I can only assume CL is psychic.

    ReplyDelete