Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Stand and Deliver. The best ever made, right? And I’m 14, not an adult!!

So, as you may remember, I am going back to school.  As part of my going back to school thingy as a freshman (none of the credits from my associates degree transferred over. Awesome! Another post for another day.)  So, I am a freshman and as I freshman right out of high school and with no life experience and no time management skills, no concept of how to be an adult seeing as how this is the first time I’m “out on my own” away from mommy and daddy, I have to take a class that will instruct me how to have time management, how to “be an adult” and how to handle “adult stuff” whatever that means. Oh! And how to do my homework as well. 

Wait. I’m 33, right? Doesn’t that in and of itself qualify me as an adult?   I have had held numerous full time jobs, I have a hubby and two kids of mine own that are in school as well with homework and all that yucky time management stuff that we as adults have to kinda have to be, well, an adult.  And more importantly, I know I how to operate my checkbook.  I am an adult. Unfortunately.  I hate saying that word, “adult”. Really. I am still just a silly lazy 14 year old girl who loves her Project Runway and Jersey Shore and loves Ke$ha and Lady Gaga.  But, for all the reasons I have to take this freshman class, I am an adult. *le sigh* “Easy A” I told myself when I was forced to take this class. 

But for this class I have to read the book, The Freedom Writers Diary.  Already this college thing is pissing me off.  This book sucks! I could see if I was freshly out of high school how A) this class would be awesome and B) this book would be relatable, but I am neither straight of high school nor can I relate to this boring ass book!  This book, it was a movie that you may have seen with Hillary Swank- I have not seen the movie because my distaste for Hillary Swank is almost as much as my distaste for the people who oppose people to worship freely in this country.  This book. Think Stand and Deliver, the movie. Think Lean On Me, the movie. Think Dangerous Minds, the movie.  I am not sure if any those movies started off as a book like the Freedom Writers book.  This book is all about reject kids and their awesome white woman teacher who is bound and determined to get through to them and make a difference in their horrible ghetto lives and show them a world outside of their gang infested neighborhood.  While the message is awesome and wanting to be a teacher myself, I hope I can get through to my students just 1% like this teacher did, this book is not for me.  I read it and I’m bored, but I have to write an essay at some point about this book. I have to read the book before classes start and the author is coming to speak at our school, so it’s kinda a big deal to read the book.  And I’m impressed the author/ teacher to these kids is coming to our school, that is pretty cool! But this book is boring.  But readable, I suppose. 

Me and my hubby were discussing this topic and I think the reason I don’t like the book is A) my dislike for Hillary Swank (see above paragraph) and all I can see when I read this book is her and her role in Boys Don’t Cry, which I liked by the way, I just don’t like her. Probably because she wasn’t a good fit when she was in Beverly Hills 90210 the original series and B) Stand and Deliver is the end all be all to “teacher turning reject kids around” in my book.  I love that movie, Stand and Deliver,  and no other movie of it’s kind has come close to Stand and Deliver in my opinion.  My hubby disagrees with me.  He thinks Lean on Me, the movie, is the best of it’s kind.  Um. No.  Stand and Deliver is the original in my book, the best made of its kind. 

So, what say you? What is your favorite “teacher turning rejects into the best people on earth” movie?  And you guys totally agree with me about Stand and Deliver over Lean on Me, right? 

(Sorry for not linking to any book or movie in this post and just assuming you know the books and movies that I refer to in this post. But my contacts were upsetting my left eye and I can’t hardly see right now. And it’s annoying me greatly and I just need to get off the computer soon.  So if there are more misspellings than usual in this post, you know why.)

2 comments:

  1. Stand and Deliver. Definitely. Jaime Escalate FTW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would the Dead Poet's Society count? That was pretty good. Although I liked Lean on Me, and I'm not sure I've ever seen Stand and Deliver.

    ReplyDelete