Pages

Friday, August 6, 2010

Plan B: The Great American/Canada Tour. Maybe? (aka Probably)

So, most you follow me on Facebook already know what today’s topic is going to be about. 

My hubby is losing his job.

image

The plant he works at is shutting down by November and they are starting lay-offs, err I mean letting people go jobless, starting next month.  My hubby will most likely be in that group next month.  Most people at his work have been there for years upon years upon years, starting there when they were 18 and right out of high school.  It’s not uncommon to hear, “yeah, this is my 17th or 18+ year here.”  But that is all going to come to an end in the coming weeks.  For 700 people in my town and for 2,200 people from the five plants this company is shutting down across America. 2,200 people all thinking the same thing right now, “Oh shit!” and I’m sure many “Fucks” were said as well (followed by you).

At my last place of employment, they employed about 2 thousand people. I can’t imagine putting 2 thousand people out of work.  I can literally picture a face for all 2 thousand people. Just think about the last time you went to the movies, think that all of those people who crowded the theater without jobs. That probably gives you a good idea.   

It’s very sad.  But not totally unexpected.  I have been telling my hubby that the printing business is a dying breed (he works for a printing company in case you couldn’t put A & B together. You’re welcome). Plus, I watch enough 20/20, Nightline, Dateline to know that CEO’s and other head honcho's don’t care about much else other than the bottom line.  I could feel this coming in my bones (even though my hubby’s plant has the highest rating in the company before they were bought out last month by Quad Graphics).  I have been pushing my hubby to look for another job for about a year now, constantly being told, “Ugh.”  Ok, maybe he didn’t really say, “Ugh” to me, but still, I knew my advice was falling on deaf ears.  But it doesn’t matter now. Telling my hubby, ‘See! See! I was right! Gotcha! Ha. Ha. Ha.” just doesn’t seem very supportive and I’m sure it’s against the wife handbook/contract that I signed before getting married.  And this isn’t the time I need to be carted off to wife jail. 

Am I worried? Hell to the yes! I am very worried.  It’s hard out there for a pimp right now.  What I don’t want to be told is, “This could be a huge blessing” bullcrap.  No thank you, not today.  God and I have our own relationship and he knows exactly how I feel and I told him just this morning, “I have faith that you will carry us through this.” Yes, he and I talk every morning while I take my shower and I tell him exactly how I feel.  He knows and he gets it.  I am worried, but I do have faith.  It’s hard to convince your brain, “Don’t worry” when you have kids to feed and bills to pay and all your safety nets have died within two years.   Yeah, it kinds sucks donkey balls.  However, there is Bible verse that says something like, “I care enough about the birds so that the birds don’t worry about their next meal, what makes you think I would care about you any less than I care about the birds?”  I like that.  But again, it’s hard for the human brain to not worry.  Or is just mine?

With that said----

* I interrupt this blog post for a PSA announcement. * 

Please, don’t do this: I don’t want to hear it right now. I know, I know, they are trying to be helpful and what they are saying is true, but still.  I and God have our own thing going and I want the humans to actually help as in, don’t just tell send me messages about God and plans and blessings wrapped in strange ways.  I want those people to send me leads on jobs or say, “I’m praying FOR YOU.” Something useful, not some fortune cookie mumbo jumbo about “Great things are ahead in your near future. And your lucky lottery numbers are 10, 2, 29, 59.” 

image

image

Kim from Live from the 205 sums it up perfectly!

image

But I have some back up plans in place and I hope you guys don’t mind that you are involved in my plans should the job hunt for hubby should not be as fruitful as we are hoping. 

It involves “touring” America and possible Canada

We can live with my mother in law and my hubby has family in the Boston area (so we might make our move to Boston a wee bit sooner than planned).  That would be nice - but only for so long. I would rather, for long term, live with someone is my age bracket.  So, our first stop is Kim in Alabama. She has a big beautiful house that we could help feel up with the fighting and yelling and never going to sleep on time love and laughter that only kids can bring.   The up next would be Becky’s house.  I figure we could crash there for a few months before we outstay our welcome.  Then Shelia (I can babysit for her and my hubby can be her bodyguard is she ever feels the need that she needs one), then Talina (again, pulling the babysitter card).  Up next would be Shiny, I can’t use the babysitter card because I think his son is probably about 10 times smarter than me (aka his son IS smarter than a 5th grader whereas I am not.) and his son would probably end up babysitting me!  But Shiny is Jewish, so I figure that exposing the girls to a new religion would be an awesome thing. If we are going to take this impromptu tour of America, we should expose my girls to all new and exciting things, show them what this great land not all all corporate douchebags bottom line hungry assholes  has to offer.  And then finally, jump the border and go live with LeSombre and family.  By then we will probably need to see a doctor for a check up and such (because we won’t have had health insurance this entire time!) and his wonderful country has free health coverage.  Though I might have to renounce my American citizenship?  Small price to pay for health coverage if you ask me though.  I can visit the states anytime, I can’t get free health coverage just any day of the week. 

So, that is my plan B. What do you guys think? I hope you don’t mind because you really can’t back out now. It’s too late in the game and yes, I write this post with 60% sarcasm and about 40% realism. 

And PS- if you are reading this and I didn’t include you in my great American/ Canada Tour and would like to be included, just let me know! The more places to visit and people to meet, the merrier!  It’s a total win-win for us all! Again, 60% sarcasm and about 40% realism. Really. 

6 comments:

  1. Man, am I glad you liked what I said. Whew!

    Oh wait. This is about you, not me. I tend to forget that. See? I'm doing it again. Fudgesicles. (Do you cuss here? Can I cuss here? Typing that took effort. I did it all for you.)

    Anyway. Considering my three kids and I just moved into my parents' home (as in mobile home) I don't have space to be graced by you and your brood. I REALLY wish I did. That would just f- err, fudgesicle rock. However, I did just get a $4/hour raise (sorta. It's salary and if I only worked 40 that's what it would boil down to) and I did just get my divorce, which means the child support is court ordered. So I can't help with a place to stay, but in a month or two, I can help finance The Great American Canada Tour. The last year and half were really hard on me financially, and several people (family and several internet friends) helped me. It's time to pay it forward, baby, and you're it. Therefore, you have no choice. You can't say no. So there.

    It's so awesome that you're going to do this! What a fun adventure it's going to be! If nothing else, there will be tons of blog fodder. It takes a hell of a strong, courageous, insightful person to do that, and you've got a family full of them!

    Just don't cut off my foot with an axe, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For what it's worth, you're still a lot smarter than my kid. And I'm sure your two girls can teach him a thing or two...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy...I swear here :)

    Anyway....Miss Misery, you and the family are welcome up here anytime. And because I love you and consider you family, I wouldn't even have to clean...so bonus!!! Hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy- Yes, you can swear here anytime you'd like. Fuck yeah you can! :)

    Shiny- With you as a dad and your brillant wife, yeah, I am very sure he is smarter than me. I'm ok with that!

    Becky- No housework! I'm on my way even if we do find another job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you come to Boston, let me know, I'll meet you for coffee or drinks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh hi! Just came back from vacation - about a week ago - and just started to comment on blogs. ;-)

    So, when are you getting here?

    ReplyDelete